The best car insurance companies do more for their customers than just give them the coverage they want at a price they can afford. They also put the customer first by making it easy for them to manage their policies and make payments.
We looked at customer complaints, customer experiences, and financial strength to find the best auto insurance companies. We also looked into what kinds of coverage were available and how easy it is to get a quote or file a claim online with an insurer.
Based on these factors, these are the best auto insurance companies for 2022.
How we ranked the best car insurance companies
The editorial team at NerdWallet looked at price, discounts, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and more to find the best car insurance companies. In our “ease of use” category, we look at things like how clear the website is and how simple it is to file a claim. This list of the best auto insurance companies is likely to change as we continue to look at more insurance companies and get new market data.
Best car insurance companies: Pros and cons
Read our short summaries of our top auto insurance companies to find out more about them. Check out our detailed reviews to find out more.
- Best in general: American Family
- Auto-Owners: Best for having few complaints from customers
- NJM is the best choice for drivers in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, and Pennsylvania
- Best for discounts: Amica
- Progressive is the best big insurer for people with pets.
- State Farm is the best big insurer when it comes to customer satisfaction.
- Travelers: Easiest to use.
- The best insurance that requires a membership is from the Auto Club Group.